Here are some tips to help get your dog back faster…
- Immediately VISIT your local Animal Control/Humane Societies in an approximately 10-20 mile range to look and to file a LOST report. See the shelter list.
- Take a flyer that has his/her pictures on it.
- Keep visiting
- Note: Indianapolis Animal Care Services at 2600 S. Harding St. has a stray hold of only 4 days.
- Make flyers. Use the posting we have created for your pet to distribute. Not all folks use social media!
- Knock on doors and give them to neighbors.
- Share with local veterinarians.
- Share with your mail/UPS/FedEx person.
- If your dog is microchipped, update your information with the chip company ASAP! You can contact the place that put the chip in for the number/chip company info. See microchipping info.
- Search your neighborhood.
- Walk or drive slowly through your neighborhood
- Make noise and call the pet’s name. Animals can hear you from very long distances.
- Bring your pet’s favorite toy or treats and rattle them loudly while calling your pet’s name.
- Stop regularly, be quiet, and listen for your pet. They may make a noise in reply.
- Share his/her alert and ask others to share.
- Share on your Facebook page.
- Share on your neighborhood or town FB page or email list.
- Share on nextdoor.com
- Post lots of signs in the area and within a 2 mile radius, especially entrances/exits of your neighborhood. Neon signs are great! We can provide sign examples if you need. Clear contact paper or clear packaging tape can make them waterproof.
- Share your lost pet info with your mail/UPS/FedEx person. They usually spend a lot of time in your neighborhood and often know where pets live. Giving them a color flyer is even better so they know exactly what your dog looks like.
Don’t give up your search. Animals who have been lost for months have been reunited with their owners.
For questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!